- 1 How was basketball created?
- 2 Was basketball invented by a black man?
- 3 What is basketball and its history?
- 4 What country did basketball originate from?
- 5 What is the oldest sport?
- 6 Who invented school?
- 7 What are the 5 violations in basketball?
- 8 How many original rules were there in basketball?
- 9 Who was first black player in NBA?
- 10 When did the first black man play basketball?
- 11 Who was the first famous basketball player?
- 12 What is the old name of basketball?
- 13 What are the 13 original rules of basketball?
- 14 What is the aim of basketball?
How was basketball created?
The game of basketball as it is known today was created by Dr. James Naismith in December 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts, to condition young athletes during cold months. The objective of the game was to throw the basketball into the fruit baskets nailed to the lower railing of the gym balcony.
Was basketball invented by a black man?
Black Americans have “invented” basketball just as much, or more than, Naismith did. “Basketball was originally invented as a white man’s game.” This quote from Michael Novack’s The Joy of Sports is featured on the first page of Nelson George’s Elevating the Game.
What is basketball and its history?
Basketball was invented by James Naismith in Springfield, Massachusetts. The year was 1891, and as the story goes, Naismith was asked to come up with an indoor game that offered fewer injuries than classic American gridiron football. He came up with a 9-on-9 game that involved shooting a ball into a peach basket.
What country did basketball originate from?
The only major sport strictly of U.S. origin, basketball was invented by James Naismith (1861–1939) on or about December 1, 1891, at the International Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) Training School (now Springfield College), Springfield, Massachusetts, where Naismith was an instructor in physical education.
What is the oldest sport?
The oldest sport
With the possible exception of athletics, wrestling is recognised as the world’s oldest competitive sport. Indeed cave drawings of wrestlers have been found dating as far back as 3000 BC. The sport was introduced into the ancient Olympics in 708 BC.
Who invented school?
Credit for our modern version of the school system usually goes to Horace Mann. When he became Secretary of Education in Massachusetts in 1837, he set forth his vision for a system of professional teachers who would teach students an organized curriculum of basic content.
What are the 5 violations in basketball?
What are the different violations in basketball?
- Out-of-bounds: being the last player to touch the ball before it goes out-of-bounds.
- Double dribble: dribbling the ball before picking it up and dribbling again.
- Carry: scooping the ball to carry it while dribbling.
How many original rules were there in basketball?
The 13 original rules of basketball were written by Dr. James Naismith in December 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts. The free-throw line was set at 20 feet.
Who was first black player in NBA?
Seventy years ago, Charles Henry “Chuck” Cooper became the first African American player to be drafted in the NBA, after being selected by the Boston Celtics in the second round with the 14th overall pick.
When did the first black man play basketball?
On October 31, 1950, 21-year-old Earl Lloyd becomes the first African American to play in an NBA game when he takes the court in the season opener for the Washington Capitols.
Who was the first famous basketball player?
Wilt Chamberlain was the first NBA player to score more than 30,000 cumulative points over his career, and the first and only player to score 100 points in a single game.
What is the old name of basketball?
In spite of student suggestions that he call the game “Naismith Ball,” the modest inventor gave the sport a two-word moniker—“basket ball.” In an article that ran in the January 15, 1892, edition of The Triangle, which was distributed to YMCAs around the country, Naismith detailed his 13 rules for a “new game of ball”
What are the 13 original rules of basketball?
Dr. James Naismith’s Original 13 Rules of Basketball
- The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
- The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands (never with the fist).
- A player cannot run with the ball.
- The ball must be held in or between the hands; the arms or body must not be used for holding it.
What is the aim of basketball?
The object of the game is to put the ball through the basketball hoop more times than the opposing team. There are two teams on the court at a time, each trying to score on the opposing team’s basket. Each side will be trying to prevent the other to score in their basket, making it more challenging to win.