- 1 How do you coach a 7 year old in basketball?
- 2 How do you coach youth girls basketball?
- 3 What are the 13 original rules of basketball?
- 4 How many hours a day should I practice basketball?
- 5 What makes a bad basketball coach?
- 6 What makes a good youth coach?
- 7 What size basketball should a 6 year old use?
- 8 Can a 4 year old play basketball?
- 9 How do you teach youth basketball?
- 10 How do you coach youth?
- 11 How do you become a good basketball coach?
How do you coach a 7 year old in basketball?
Level 1 ( 7 to 10 Year Olds )
- Lay ups – You should practice lots of lay ups with both hands.
- Footwork – Teach them triple threat positioning, pivoting on their left and right foot without traveling, jump stops, and to square to the basket as soon as they catch the ball in a triple threat position.
How do you coach youth girls basketball?
Best Overall Advice for Youth Basketball Coaches
- Keep things fun!
- Be Positive & Do NOT Correct Every Mistake!
- Allow your players to be successful!
- Teach life lessons in your practices!
- Don’t worry about winning!
- Avoid year-round basketball and play other sports!
- Don’t press or play zone defense!
What are the 13 original rules of basketball?
Dr. James Naismith’s Original 13 Rules of Basketball
- The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
- The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands (never with the fist).
- A player cannot run with the ball.
- The ball must be held in or between the hands; the arms or body must not be used for holding it.
How many hours a day should I practice basketball?
There is no magic number dealing with training to being a professional. With that said, to answer your question, it should be 3–6 hours a day. Based on numerous reports from professionals themselves, NBA or where ever, the consensus average time put in was around 5 hours per day.
What makes a bad basketball coach?
Bad coaches make sure the bench knows how unimportant they are. Most of your time should be spent ignoring these players. They are on the bench and, therefore, not important to the team. When you ignore them long enough, they might begin to lose enthusiasm for the game and stop cheering.
What makes a good youth coach?
Good youth coaches ensure that the individuals have a positive experience and are therefore more likely to continue in their sport and achieve their potential. Winning is important but secondary to learning at this level. Sportsmanship and teaching it are a key factor in ” What makes a good youth coach “.
What size basketball should a 6 year old use?
Size 5 27.5” 17 oz Boys and girls ages 9-11 years old. This is the standard youth basketball you find in most stores. Size 4 25.5” 14 oz Boys and girls ages 5-8 years old. Size 3 22” 10 oz Boys and girls ages 4-8 years old.
Can a 4 year old play basketball?
Children can start learning the very basics of basketball from kindergarten to third grade. However, 5-6 year olds still are not ready to play on a team. During this time period parents and teachers can teach them to throw, bounce, and catch the ball.
How do you teach youth basketball?
Share All sharing options for: How to coach youth basketball
- Be organized.
- Get an assistant coach, or be one.
- Move the ball from side to side.
- Don’t teach them plays, teach them how to play.
- Play man-to-man defense, not zone.
- Coach – don’t referee.
How do you coach youth?
6 Tips for Successfully Coaching a Youth Sports Team
- Becoming a Youth Sports Coach.
- Use Positive Reinforcement.
- Keep Things Simple.
- Customize Instruction to the Individual Child’s Level.
- If Your Child Is On the Team, Be Mindful of Your Relationship.
- Communicate Expectations to Parents.
- Teach Kids Resilience.
How do you become a good basketball coach?
5 Qualities You Should Look for in a Basketball Coach
- Basketball IQ. You want your coach to be knowledgeable about the game.
- Energy. You want your coach to love basketball as much as you do, if not more.
- Involvement. A great coach needs to be involved, not only on the court but also off.
- Communication. Communication skills are crucial.